AGREEMENT BETWEEN AUTHOR AND THEATRICAL MANAGER FOR PRODUCTION OF PLAY
This Agreement is made on this _____day of 20__,
____________________(hereinafter described as the ‘Author’)
____________________ (hereinafter described as the Producer),
Whereas, the author is sole and absolute owner of the manuscript of the play known as (Name of the play) (Owner of the copyrights in case he owns), and
Whereas, the Producers are desirous of producing said play in the manner and for the period hereinafter stated, and
Whereas, the parties hereto are prepared to enter into an agreement, which shall be limited, however exclusively, to matters in connection with the production, management and exhibition of said play on the terms and conditions hereinafter stated.
Now, therefore, in consideration of the mutual covenants and agreements herein contained, the parties hereto covenant and agree with each other as follows:
- The author hereby grants to the producers the exclusive rightto produce the said play (Name of the play) in the (Name of the theatre), for a period of (months/years), commencing on (Date) and ending on (Date), and agrees that during the said period the said play shall not be published or in any manner dedicated to the public, but shall remain in manuscript form, and be used only for the stage production by the said Producers; the said play to be absolutely free from royalties except as herein provided.
- The Author shall be entitled for a sum of (Amount) for his contribution in the script for the play.
- The Producers agree to give the first production of said play after (Date), in conformity with the terms of this contract, and in any event, before (Date) and agree to produce the said play continuously during the regular theatrical seasonsthroughout the period of this agreement. In the event that the production of said play should result in a loss for any theatrical season, then whenever such loss for any theatrical season shall amount to the sum of
(Amount) said producers may, by notice to the other party, terminate this agreement.
- The Producers agree to furnish such sums of money as shall be necessary to start the production of the said play and to furnish all necessary printing and such properties, scenery, costumes and paraphernalia as the Author shall deem necessary for the production of the said play, this amount to be considered as an expense and to be paid before the amount of net profits shall be determined.
- The selection of actorsand actresses for the production of said play shall be subject to the approval of (Name of the Person), but the salaries shall be paid by the Producers, such amount to be considered as an expense, and to be paid before the amount of net profits shall be determined.
- The management of the stage, shall be exclusively under the supervisionof (Name of the Manager) who hereby agrees to give the necessary time and attention to said management.
- The Producers shall manage the front of the house and attend generally to the business management, involving attending to the front of the house, routing of the company, printing, advertising, etc.
- If mutually deemed advisable, said Producers will supply such additional funds as may be necessary in order to form another theatrical company for the production of said play, such production of said play and the interest of the respective parties hereto, herein to be governed by the terms of this agreement.
- Upon the expiration of this agreement, or its termination for any cause whatsoever, all rightsand privileges in and to the said play and the manuscript thereof, hereby granted, shall revert and belong to the said Author.
- The parties to this agreement shall at all times have access to the books of the said Producers, appertaining to said play, and to the box office of the theatre where said play may be produced.
- The Producers shall, after deducting all expenses to which they have been put and advances, as herein provided, at the expiration of each month pay to the said author a sum equal to (per cent) of the net profits resulting from said production or productions.
- Nothing herein contained shall be construed to constitute a partnershipbetween the parties hereto, or to impose any liability for any loss incurred in the production by the parties of the first part of the said play.
In witness whereof, the parties hereto have executed this Agreement
Witness 1 Witness 2